Friday 10 January 2020

Exploring how Late Night Women's Hour targets niche audiences

'Home' (2016)

Things to think about:



  • The positions and occupations of the panelists
  • Consideration of the existential implications of 'authenticity'
  • Regulatory issues: "that popular book website" 

Quotes:


"The accoutrements of modern society..."
"It exists in apposition to an imagined context..."
"At the moment I'm wearing a dress that I made... it's really a practical thing"
"I'm using it as a metonym!"
"I will be engaging with craft with my three year old"
"I will mainly be putting my books away"
"I have a large collection of square scarves"
"I only have 20 books... I know!"
"My favourite winter mug is in storage"


Vaginas/Pockets (2018)



  • Episode focuses on the topic of female body odour, and the double standard that exists between men and women in popular conception. 
  • The conversation is frank "sometimes my vagina is musty, right?"
  • Ancillary topics include menstruation, the menopause and oral sex: "There's an expectation you need to taste nice. You're a human being, not a clementine!"
  • A diverse range of panelists from different backgrounds and ages, with an older woman discussing the "joys of the menopause"
  • Suddenly the episode shifts, and pockets/women's fashion are discussed instead, in particular the impracticalities of pockets and women's garments. A range of diverse topics.